Sunday, October 13, 2013

My Local Hot Cocoa

I love hot cocoa (the dark chocolate version) most especially on a stormy weather like today. For me, it's the perfect beverage on a cold, rainy day and even on mornings when the sun is shining. It warms my heart, soothes my soul, comforts me when I had a long day and gives me an instant flush on the cheeks. Just imagine, the rich velvety chocolate mixed with warm, creamy milk. Bliss!

I got these chocolate callets from Cacao de Davao a few weeks ago and we're now on our second pack. I ordered the first pack from Taste Central and bought the second pack from the Echostore. These are roasted cocoa beans finely milled and molded into callets. These are all natural goodness with nothing added nor taken out. Plus, these are locally made. As you all know, I'm a big supporter of local businesses. Did you know that Davao City exports cacao to Netherlands and other European countries?





Here's my recipe for a delightful dark chocolate drink:
  • 3 cups of milk (I use whole milk but you can opt for the low/non fat one to healthify the drink a little more)
  • 9 chocolate callets (3 chocolate callets for every 1 cup)
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
Pour the milk in a saucepan using low heat. After a minute, drop the chocolate callets. Simmer and stir for about 2 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients and let it simmer again but don't let it boil. Divide between 3 cups and serve. You may add whipped cream on top if you prefer.



Some Fun Facts about Cacao...
  • it is considered to be a super anti-oxidant
  • the high anti-oxidant helps protect the heart, cellular damage etc
  • it has been linked to lower cholesterol
  • it is a great source of magnesium, iron, copper, calcium, potassium and zinc
  • it has anti-aging properties
  • prevents depression
Cacao De Davao
San Pedro Extension, Davao City
https://www.facebook.com/cacaodedavao

Love Local!

Images taken using iPhone 5, some information taken from Cacao De Davao's page and MoveNourishBelieve




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...