Thursday, October 25, 2012

The Island of Coron

It's been a while since I've hit the local beaches here in the Philippines. I use to go to the beach at least twice a year but these past few years I chose to use my free time to travel overseas instead. That's how my wanderlust began...

Anyway, most of the stuff I've been posting has been about international travel but this time I'd like to share something from my motherland. I'm pretty sure that a lot of people have heard about the talcum powdery white sand beaches of Boracay and its infamous party scene however if you prefer something more serene and closer to mother nature I suggest you go to Coron, Palawan's pristine beaches.

The Philippines is composed of 7,108 islands (during low tide) and 7,107 islands (if high tide). There are a lot of beautiful beaches here but this particular one has captured my heart.

We arrived at Busuanga's Airport. It was about a 45 minute flight from Manila
The view from the top of the 700 steps we climbed
A local fisherman
This area reminds me of Rivendell from Lord of the Rings
Entrance to the twin caves
See how clear the water is?
Our group at the Twin Caves' entrance (I'm the one second to the right)
View from top of the hill on our way to Kayangan Lake
Banana Island
We were the only people in Banana Island. The experience was amazing!

There's plenty of fish in the sea.  Literally!  The boys didn't even have to swim that far. 
The girls enjoying the sun, sand and sea. 
Lunch! (Too bad, I'm allergic to crabs so I ate grilled tuna instead)
View of Malcapuya Island from the cliff
Wingardium Leviosa
One of Palawan's beautiful islands. This is our view from the airplane on our way back home to Manila.
Our group did the following activities:

- Island hop
- Snorkel
- Hike
- Eat and Drink ;)
- Chill
- Sunbathe

Sorry I didn't get to take snaps of the place where we stayed. The room's rate per night was cheap but it was spacious and clean. It had air condition, hot and cold shower and provides free breakfast. It wasn't that bad.

Of course a beach trip won't be complete in the Philippines without an hour's worth of full body massage from a "manang masahista" (trained elder ladies with IDs waiting on the shore with bottles of virgin coconut oil) which is available at the island for Php 300  (about $6.00 USD) + tip.

This trip was way back in March 2009.

The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page  - Saint Augustine

{Images were taken by my friend Lou Anne}

2 comments:

  1. Your pictures are gorgeous and amazing! May I recommend Taal, Batangas as one of your future adventures? It's the foremost heritage town in the Southern Tagalog region and its right next to Tagaytay. Not many know, so we are trying to get the word out.

    I think every Filipino should tour Taal at least once. It makes for a wonderful blog. For more info check out:
    www.taal.ph

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dan! Thank you for the kind words. Taal is actually next on our list. I will post about it soon after me and my friends have done an ocular of the place. ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...